fbpx
For Sale

West Winds, Beach Road, Pembroke & Surrounding, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire (POM1001308)

Property ID: POM1001308, Detached House.
£Offers over550,000
342

First Glance

***WATER VIEWS***Popular Move are proud to present West Winds situated in Llanreath in an elevated position overlooking the Milford Haven Waterway, in a small estuary hamlet with several local walks. The spacious accommodation briefly comprises entrance hall, cloakroom, study/bedroom, lounge, dining room, sun room, kitchen/breakfast and utility on the ground floor, master en-suite, bathroom, and two further bedrooms all enjoying the beautiful water views. Externally the property offers terraced gardens, patio areas, boat shed with workshop, garage, off road parking and uninterrupted sea views.


If you think your property would benefit from a First Glance Video. Call Popular Move now for a Free no obligation appraisal.

Floor Plans

Llanreath
Llanreath is a small hamlet with several local walks, close to the local golf course and approximately 1 mile from Pembroke Dock town centre with its range of superstores, retail parks, primary and secondary schools, train station and leisure centre.
Entrance Hallway
Part glazed wooden door, double glazed window to front, tiled floor.
Cloakroom
Low level wc, wash hand basin and pedestal, part tiled walls, radiator, extractor fan.
Study/Bedroom
Double glazed window to rear, under stairs cupboard, oak floor, radiator.
4.93m (16′ 2″) x 3.07m (10′ 1″)
Lounge
Inglenook fireplace with gas burning stove sitting on a slate tiled hearth, original plate rack, double glazed window to front with sea views, radiator, oak floor.
2.97m (9′ 9″) x 6.00m (19′ 8″)
Dining Room
Double glazed bifold door to front with sea views, feature fire place with insert gas fire, marble insert back and hearth, wood surround, original plate rack, double glazed bay window to rear, oak floor.
3.00m (9′ 10″) x 5.88m (19′ 4″)
Sun Room
Double glazed windows to front and side with trifold door to side, ceramic tiled floor, electric under floor heating.
3.56m (11′ 8″) x 3.30m (10′ 10″)
Breakfast Area
Double glazed doors to rear, double glazed window to rear, wall cupboard, three radiators, vinyl floor.
2.55m (8′ 4″) x 6.18m (20′ 3″)
Kitchen
Wall and base units with worktop over, stainless steel sink and drainer with mixer tap, integrated oven, hob extractor fan, space and plumbing for dishwasher, double glazed window to side, vinyl floor.
2.72m (8′ 11″) x 3.31m (10′ 10″)
Utility
Space and plumbing for washing machine, tumble dryer, work top over, wall mounted boiler, space for fridge/freezer, double glazed window to rear, door to side, tiled floor.
First Floor/Landing
Stairs to first floor, landing with loft access, two radiators, two double glazed windows to rear, carpet.
Bathroom
Shower cubicle with glass sliding door, tiled walls, electric shower, walk-in airing cupboard with wood shelving, low level wc, wash hand basin and pedestal, bidet, panelled bath, heated towel rail, part wood clad walls, obscure double glazed window to rear and side, vinyl floor.
3.11m (10′ 3″) x 3.04m (10′ 0″)
Master Bedroom
Fitted wardrobes and draws, double glazed window to front with sea views, radiator, oak floor, door to;
5.10m (16′ 9″) x 3.03m (9′ 11″)
En-Suite Shower
Corner cubicle with glass door, mains shower connected, low level wc, wash hand basin and pedestal, store cupboard, extractor fan, two heated towel rails, tiled walls, vinyl floor.
Bedroom
Double glazed window to front with sea views, radiator, carpet, loft access.
5.09m (16′ 8″) x 3.25m (10′ 8″)
Bedroom
Double glazed windows to front, side and rear with sea views, radiator carpet.
2.55m (8′ 4″) x 5.88m (19′ 3″)
Garage
Electric roller door to front, window to rear, power and lighting.
5.44m (17′ 10″) x 3.50m (11′ 6″)
Externally
The property is approached via a long driveway, also giving neighbours access to their properties. Parking in front of the gated driveway which leads to the property. Ample off road parking for at least six vehicles, garage with power and lighting, exceptional sea views to the front of the house. The grounds surround West Winds and offers pockets of sitting areas which enable you to enjoy the uninterrupted sea views. Terraced gardens with an array of mature shrubs, fruit trees, wild life pond, boat shed and workshop with its own access which is to the rear of the property, ideal to convert into a holiday let (subject to planning).
The History Of West Winds via the vendors comments
Pembroke Dock came into being because of the construction of the Royal Dockyard. Local stories claim that the former name Paterchurch was superseded by the current name around 1832 because of the deliveries to the dockyard. Pembroke was the nearest town so all equipment was sent on to the Dock.

As more ships were needed because of the Napoleonic War the dockyard required
more space as well as a purpose built dry-dock. Mary Peters in “The History of Pembroke Dock” & Phil Carradice in his book “Pembroke Dock: The Town Built to Build Ships” relate the tale of a feisty local character, Ann Jones who in 1850 lived in a cottage on the land required by the Dockyard for the proposed dry-dock. Ann used to sell beer and pies to the workmen during their breaks allowing them credit till payday. These purchases were chalked up on her wall” …and “woe betide anyone who failed to clear their slate.” Her nickname was Nanny Herring.

The Royal Navy persuaded her to relocate and built her a house on the slopes of Llanreath complete with a well around a freshwater spring. Care seems to have been taken to site the house on a rock outcrop halfway up the cliff so it was protected from the full force of SW gales. This dwelling, originally referred to as Nanny HerringÂ’s, became known as Quarry House when stone was quarried from behind it and used to build many of the local village houses required for the increased dockyard staff.

Llanreath was heavily bombed during World War 2 as the Germans tried to destroy the dockyard and the fleets of Sunderland & Catalina aircraft anchored in the adjacent estuary. Quarry House was badly damaged. It, as well as the other bomb-damaged properties, became the village boys’ playground where they re-enacted battles between the British and the Germans. The current owner was one of these boys. Rumour has it that the council workmen in charge of demolition received an award for their speed in achieving this – the village boys
History Continued
who nightly helped with the demolition were not given a mention!

Quarry House became West Winds in 1946. Elfryn Thomas, foreman with Hadsphaltic, a civil reconstruction firm dealing with bomb damage, bought, extended and completely renovated it . We were told that he used a lot of with top quality scrapped materials which had been removed from the severely bomb damaged Lawrenny Castle. Alas we never saw these because after the Thomas’s sold it, it was bought by a series of people who “modernised” the place in 1950’s style.

Elfryn was a popular man in the village. He employed several local young men as apprentices and often took some the of local children to school in his van. His widow told me that once he decided to buy a van, he constructed the current drive to Beach

Road digging out, mixing and laying all the cement by hand – a tremendous undertaking. He also insisted on all the windowsills in front of the house being slanted because “…some bugger would sit on them else!”

The stables were also built to house his goats which kept the whole area neatly cropped and tidy.

When we moved here in 1990 we completely renovated the house and all utilities as well as extending it. While doing this we uncovered some of ElfrynÂ’s original work. The quality of this inspired us to try and restore as much of the original style as we could.
.
.
.

Attachments